Oona Patterson





I am curious as to how other artists go about creating their work and what tools and spaces are needed in order to achieve their craft.

Oona Patterson is a paper artist, poet and story teller based in the UK. She creates the most intriguing, intricate and wonderful sculptural worlds out of paper to accompany her stories and poems.
Each and every section is delicately and precisely hand cut, and her attention to detail is phenomenal. You need to take the time to look closely at her work and allow your eyes to wander over the details of the surface of the paper in order to absorb all the tiny figures, creatures and landscapes.

Hi Oona, can you tell me what you design and make?
I make small sculptures, photographs and have recently started experimenting with animation.


What materials do you use?

For my sculptures I always use paper and most often paper that’s been used for other things already, such as books and newspapers.


How often would you spend at your workspace per day and do you find it enough or not enough (or even too much time)?

Not enough time at all!
I also work as a graphic designer/marketing assistant for a small derelict theatre. This job provides inspiration for my art, it is still creative and most importantly supports me financially. As a result however it has meant I can only really spend a maximum of 10 hours a week on artwork.


What would you change about your work space if you could?

My studio is in my house which has meant I need to keep it clean and tidy (I also share it with my boyfriend), really I would like to be surrounded by paper and mess.
It would also be nice to have a studio that puts on its own exhibitions to keep some outside pressure on me to create and exhibit.


The dream of many makers so what stops you from making those changes
At the moment I have the space at home to keep my work space close to me which means that I can maximise my time and get as much out of it as possible - which is what I need right now.


Do you have a view from a window and do you find it inspiring?

Yes and yes, I can see lots of trees and squirrels and birds.
I’ve always loved drawing and making trees, so the inspiration is right before my eyes.


End of interview.


Her work very much reminds me of Su Blackwell's, using paper from recycled books to construct these installations out of them. They seem to create little sets which are then photographed with lighting and consist of the same magical atmosphere that Su Blackwell's does.

No comments:

Post a Comment