Hopes, fears and opportunities...

Progress...

I'm really pleased with how everything has turned out after my 3 years spent at Stockport College and I have learnt so much, not just about Illustration as a whole, but about myself aswell. Instead of giving up easily if something isn't quite going according to plan, i've learnt to keep trying because at the end of the day everyone has to start somewhere. I'd describe the last 3 years as a rollercoaster ride but it has definitely ended on a positive note which feels very rewarding. I'd like to think i'm moving closer towards being a practiced illustrator even though I still need to work even harder in order to get myself that dream job of becoming a successful illustrator...so it wont be ending here!
If i'm honest, my work suffered throughout second year because I just couldnt find an ongoing technique which I could stick to so I lost so much self confidence and was even contemplating giving up but refused to let these thoughts get the better of me. I've enjoyed every minute of third year and I think the fact that I had the opportunity of choosing my own project has helped. When I have a strong passion for something, I just makes me want to keep going and I have the drive to do well. I think i've also gained more of an understanding where my work is heading and what type of work I could possibly get commissioned for. Again, before the final major project, I thought my illustration style was based more towards children's books but now, judging by my most recent work, I think they look a lot more sophisticated even when I compare it to my Sinbad the Sailor work which I am also very proud of, so they could even be suitable for a more mature audience.
There is still obviously a lot of room for improvement and need to remember the famous 'less is more' theory which I completely agree with. Hopefully one day not too far in the distant future i'll be at a comfortable stage where I can make the right decisions which is really important because our tutors aren't going be around for much longer!

Fears...

This is the time of my life which i've been dreading since day one at Stockport College, being let loose in the big wide world with no fellow students or tutors to help me decide what works with what. I have relied on other people's opinions in order to help me achieve what I have today. Sometimes I find it hard to know what's right and what's wrong but as mentioned before, hopefully i'll get to that point when i'll just know. I'm hoping to rent out a studio in Stockport along with a couple of other illustrators from our pathway which will be good.

Since going to London, it gave me confidence I didn't think I even had. I didn't go for as longas everyone else due to financial issues but I think the scariest part of everything was actually getting in contact with Art directors incase they didn't get back to you or they just instantly rejected your work. But actually, it becomes quite addictive and it's exciting when you find a response in your inbox, especially when its a positive one. It pushes you to work even harder when someone encourages you as opposed to being constantly put down or told you're doing it wrong. If nobody sees your work, then what's the point in creating it? Well, if your wanting to make money out of it that is. I didn't feel so confident about my portfolio when I went to London but I still put my work out there so i'd like to hope that people's thoughts and opinions would be even more positive, if it fulfils their expectations.

Opportunities...

I've really enjoyed my time at Stockport College and i'm very thankful for all of the prospects i've been given for the future. I'm definitely glad I attended this college over any other university as being in a fairly small group has been great when it's come to seeking help and advice off the tutors. I have been given a lot of guidance and confidence to visit different commissioning illustrators so i'm going to keep up the motivation and look forward to seeing what other opportunities are out there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment