The Green Eyed Monster



During the week, we were each asked to pick a piece of work that makes us envious so I decided to choose Jan Fearnley's book 'Arthur and The Meanies' which I recently came across in my local library whilst researching for my current project. Fearnley is a full time children's book author and illustrator who has sold 300.000 books worldwide in less than 3 years and that fact that she is one of the most successful writer/illustrators of her generation is the first reason why i'm so envious of her! Secondly, each and every page in this book is just beautiful. It is exactly how i'd love my children's book to look like if i was to create my own as she uses a number of different materials throughout in order to create various textures and make each page seem touchable. Her animals are delicately drawn with hints of patterns on their bodies and practically every other element on the page looks to be made from ripped up paper, musical note pages, book pages and have even been sewn into afterwards. I love how theres are a few leaves at the bottom where a few have been made from paper and others have been drawn so simply underneath. It has inspired me to try a few of these techniques as i like the idea of the drawn elements being placed on top of materials and to play around with text and how it can be arranged on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment